Tuesday 6 September 2011

Why do we have a separate Guru Divas?

I came to know about Guru Divas or teacher's day since I was in standard one. Being a student I was happy to honour our teachers. I am happy that we remember our teachers at least once in every year. I came to know we celebrate it on the birthday of the second president of India Dr Radhakrishnan.

I asked myself why were we late in celebrating for our teachers? We call our teachers as Guru. Our puranas places teachers above gods. What was stopping us celebrating teachers day till 1962?

Later I came to know my question was wrong. Indians did give respect to teachers much before 1962.India the hub of knowledge gave respect to teachers and have dedicated a day for them much before 1962. We do guru Pooja on the eve of the birthday of Vedavyasa on Guru Purnima.

I have the next set of questions, why don't we celebrate Guru Divas on Guru Poornima but look at sep 5? I have great respect for Dr Radhakrishnan. And I have more respect for Veda Vyasa. Is it because we are more accotomed with Gergorian calender than Indian lunar one? Or it is because Vyasa is a figure in Hindu mythology and Dr Radhakrishnan is a public figure in independent India?

On one hand I am delighted that we are celebrating for our Gurus. On the other hand I am concerned that Guru poornima has lost its lusture in 1962. Will teachers' day loose its lusture after some time? Will the respect to teacher move away from our blood?

2 comments:

  1. Really we should do puja to our guru All The Day.
    Gurupurnima or Teacher's day is not so much important.
    Important is
    Is there real bhakti comes in us for GURU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your first part we should do pooja to our gurus all the day. Still Guru Poornima and teacher's day are important. It is like I love India everyday. That does not stop me from making independence day special. I showcase my love to my country on independence day. Simillarly we should showcase our bhaktis to Guru;s on Guru Poornima or teacher's day.

    ReplyDelete